Following on from the last blog post, here’s some more of the progress photos of the bagsie project with Soapbox & Sons and Jonathan Knowles.
The previous post showed work on a 2D version, but I then went to work on a 3D version. As you can see in the process of making it my desk becomes more and more chaotic! The photo shoot with the finished article was yesterday. There are 10 artists taking part being photographed yesterday and today. Have a search on Twitter for #BAGSIE and see the exciting behind the scenes pictures from Jenny Theolin and Emma Taylor. I can’t wait to see the photographs.
Here I’m modelling the head to make a series of nets to build the final product. You can see the paper mache base that I made underneath (the half sphere) which acts as a framework for the whole thing.
I removed these pieces and used them as templates to cut and score the coloured paper, then folded and glued them onto the hard paper mache base.
Here’s the nearly completed head. After this the long paper section at the top rolls back in on itself to make a curve.
At this stage the bird is a sort of standalone mask!
Next was working the bird into the bag so it looks like it is busting out through the front.
My partner took some snaps the morning before I went for the photo shoot… Still in my pjs (#^.^#) Here you can see the paper bits of bag cut to make it look like the bird has explosively shoved her head through the bag.